Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Fair Saturday

Hello All! 
How are your weekends going so far? We went to the Deerfield Fair today in New Hampshire. Talk about a food overload! Though, I justified it by walking for a while, and the fact that I haven't had good fair food in about three years.  Split three ways between my parents and me, not too bad I suppose. 

So,coming back today, I decided to make something pumpkin! I found a recipe in passing a few days ago that looked promising and surprisingly healthy. I changed a few things during my version but I will give you the origional recipe from http://www.fitsugar.com/

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or half wheat flour and half all purpose)
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/4 cup lowfat milk
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

I also added in 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds and 1/2 cup dried cranberries.
For my version I used only 1/2 cup brown sugar and it was plenty sweet with the add-ins. I didn't use the walnuts but that's just my taste. I used the pumpkin seeds instead. Raisins and diced apples might be good as well!

Preheat oven to 375.  Line muffin tin with liners.
Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  In a medium bowl mix wet ingredients.  Combine the two and stir until will mixed.  Fold in the add-ins you want. 
Fill the liners with the batter evenly.  I would fill them to the top if you want larger muffins.  Because of the add-ins and so many oats, the batter seems to not fluff up as much as other recipes. 
Bake for 18-25 minutes.

These are really quite good!  The did not puff up as much as  I would have liked for a muffin, but the flavor is really good and filling.  I can see grabbing one of these with an apple in the morning and being quite satisfied.  

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment